If I gave myself, as an Austin-based sometimes-blogger, just 5 minutes to compile a Top 10 list for 2011 of “most exciting cultural moments” presented “in no particular order“:
- Eyes Got It! Group Hug @ Pump Project Satellite Space, Feb-Mar 2011
- Hybrid Arts Summit @ various, Apr 2011
- Eyes Got It! 2011 @ EAST, Nov 2011
- My visit to NUDASHANK Gallery in Baltimore, Jun 2011
- My visit to ICA Boston, Oct 2011
Maybe a couple of shows that I did see and enjoy, lets say 3 of them. But all within the last 6 months.
Then 1 show from the beginning of the year.
Is this acceptable?
I know that I am in the minority regarding arts writers reviewing their artist friends, conflict of interest, etc. according to the roundtable discussion I organized as part of the Hybrid Arts Summit. But I thought it was a poor decision for Glasstire’s Austin blogger, Katie Geha, to end 2011/begin 2012 with such a dismissive list.
I’d prefer if a critic didn’t see 10 things they liked, they’d say “I didn’t see 10 things I liked this year in my town.”
I’ll tell you ’bout what I sees.