I can still remember the day…
Fuck! That was like two years ago already!
I was having almost weekly visits with a friend to talk about the exciting Austin arts boom. It boggled my mind that my assessment was being requested and considered. I was asked, “What do you think needs to happen next?”
The city needs to step up.
Artists are staying here. Making things, like EAST, happen. New spaces like Art Palace and Okay Mountain were refreshing the galleries. Institutions were making permanent homes (Blanton) and reaching out to the artists (New Art Austin & Texas Prize). Even though I’d like to see a residency program like ArtPace for Austin, we need more infrastructure first.
That was then. Now, the city provides more funding, is poised to have a department dedicated to the arts beyond music and film thanks in part to Create Austin and AIPP has made efforts to reach artists for public art projects with a new registry and workshops.
This summer even more help is on the way. The Cultural Arts Division offers new workshops.
- 7/16/08 – Becoming a 501(c)3
- 7/23/08 – Public Art Walk and Talk
- 7/24/08 – Show Me the Money: Fundamentals of Fundraising
- 7/26/08 – Public Art Crawl: NEA Community Workshop
- 7/29/08 – The Inside Track on Grant Writing
- 7/30/08 & 7/31/08 – Roadmap to Success: How to Write a Business Plan (2-part workshop)
And more throughout the fall!
I think that’s enough infrastructure so I can start complaining ’bout the lack of a great residency program. heh-heh
I’ll tell you ’bout what I sees.