On the Bout Route this past weekend:
This past weekend I set out to do something new.
I know some folks that provide super short yet richly engrossing critiques, like the inimitable Andy Campbell’s 5 word reviews on FB.
And since I finally have a smartyphone, I’ve been playing around with some apps.
I present #BoutFace for your consideration:
Not too long ago, I determined what it is that I currently do.
This month (these next two weeks specifically), I’m all about Fahamu Pecou in Austin.
I invited him to speak and perform for this year’s Hybrid Arts Summit and it just made sense to bring along his paintings and the new music videos he’s been working on.
To help with expenses, I am hosting a fundraiser this Sunday at the new Big Medium Gallery at Canopy (the exhibition will be located at the ‘old’ BigMedium on Bolm Rd.)
Come out and enjoy waffles with a side of cartoons, then jam to some hiphop.
I’ll tell you ’bout what I sees.
What an interesting week for art/criticism.
- I guess it started off with this article by Dan Solomon of his dealings with Culturemap.
- Then the NY art blogs Hyperallergic & ArtFagCity chimed in on the Ken Johnson petition/open letter.
Which got the discussion rolling on Twitter. And a response by CMonster the next day.
- Then #artcriticism was trending on Twitter. Not for the previous discussion, but because Witte de With was livetweeting and livestreaming an art criticism symposium.
- Today, EdwardWinkleman offers his perspective. I think it’s one that I agree with the most.
- And now BOOM! …might be good is on indefinite hiatus.
- But, Fusebox and Culturebot are gonna have an open discussion on Sunday.
I’ll tell you ’bout what I sees
PS: related post from me.